Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1972 Maverick Grabber  (Read 33069 times)

Offline cgaswillys

• 3/4 Throttle Member
Re: 1972 Maverick Grabber
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
Jimmy's Dad had the right idea to make his fast, he put a Chevy motor in it!!!! :lol:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that!

Yup :bowtie:
John, Lumberton, NJ
www.eastcoastgassers.com

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
Got the Bobcat taillights from my friend Bill. Had the rotors cut today and will try to swap out the front drum spindles this weekend and do the whole disc brake swap.

Offline HarryB

• 3/4 Throttle Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 10:19:53 PM »
Sweet!!!

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
Got some shit done on the maverick today. Thanks for stopping by Harry! New door hinge bushings and pins on both sides. No more play in the hinges now. Also swapped the front drum brakes for discs. Changed out the spindles and lower control arms. Used the parts from the parts car I stripped. Had the rotors cut. Used the pads from the parts car(they were like brand new). Had to buy one bearing because one race had rust pits from sitting, and new seals and brake hoses. I also removed the power steering components and replaced then with the manual steering linkage from the parts car. Big difference without all that junk hanging under there! Talk about dejavu though. I did the exact same swap over 20 years ago on my old maverick. Everything on the steering is all together but I still have to remove the power steering pump but that's not a big deal. should have it done tomorrow. The big project for tomorrow is to drill out hundreds of spot welds to remove the cowl panel so I can repair the rust underneath.
Should be fun! Oh and I received a package from Fed_Ex yesterday that contains a complete car weather strip kit and a new headliner along with the afore-mentioned hinge pins, a clutch pilot bearing and Z-bar bushing kit for the manual trans. Last picture shows the old power steering crap I removed and the manual steering linkage below. The pump still has not been removed.

Offline Toms Dogs

• Full Throttle Member
    • FLATHEADS comprehensive website
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:04 AM »
John-

Good Show, :coolthumbsup: and it's ALL documented via jpgs....  :camera:

for the future

I documented the dogsmobile 'build', one snapshot at-a-time, using grandma's Polaroid; I've a whole shoe-box full.

"Please don't take my Koda-chrome Away...."

-FLATHEADS FOREVER ? Why complicate matters-

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
Succeeded in taking the upper cowl panel off today. This required drilling out 130 spot welds! The rust in the lower cowl is fixable. The drivers side has a circular flat area which I will just cut out and weld a new piece in. Then some small patches will need to be made in the more vertical areas. On the passenger side there is no patch panel available for mavericks. A repair panel for a early mustang can be used as a starting point but it requires some work. The whole thing will be sandblasted and painted. Notice the mouse nests!

Offline joelson6

• Global Moderator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »
 :wow:

now that's some work. do you think they put enough undercoating on?  :laugh2:
i forgot about all that weird ford power steering crap. kind of like a corvette was.
^
^
Greg

Pemberton, NJ

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
I spent about an hour and a half in the garage tonight. I picked up a mustang cowl repair panel earier in the week and I started modifying it to fit the maverick tonight. I actually got more done on it then I thought I would. After lots of cutting, bending, hammering, grinding and a little sand blasting this is what I got done. I still need to make a small patch to fill in the open area where the shape of the mustang panel wouldn't work but that's ok. I didn't even start the drivers side either. I think my goal for this weekend is going to be to finish the repair but maybe not get the top part back on yet but we'll see. I'm on call this weekend so alot will depend on how much I have to go in to work.

Offline HarryB

• 3/4 Throttle Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
One step closer.  Looking good John.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
Bought a little paint and some body supplies today.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 10:45:45 AM »
I got the whole cowl area sandblasted yesterday. Lots of pinholes! Todays project is to fix all the holes and get some POR15 on it and maybe some urethane primer on certain pieces.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
Didn't get as far as I hoped today but I got the patches in the cowl done and a coat of POR15 on it. Also the passenger door now has the paint stripped down to bare metal and the window, regulator and lock assembly is removed. The grabber stripes are also removed from the whole car. Next I will have to sand the POR15 on the lower cowl, seam seal all of the welds and give it a coat of body color.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
Sanded the POR15 tonight. Man that stuff is tough as nails! Seam sealed all of the welds. Now I can mask off the edges where it will be bonded and give the center a coat of urethane primer and some body color before gluing the top back on.

Offline joelson6

• Global Moderator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
gonna glue it, huh ?
^
^
Greg

Pemberton, NJ

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
Yup. Structural panel adhesive. That way it will seal the seam as well as hold it together. If I were to do it the old fashioned way and weld it then it would surely start rusting at every weld because there's no way to seal it afterwards. I'm  not into having all my hard work go to waste!