Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1972 Maverick Grabber  (Read 33068 times)

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
1972 Maverick Grabber
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
Well I couldn't resist this car. As some of you already know, I used to own a maverick that I built and raced and drove on the street back in 84 until the early 90's. That car was so much fun and I have alot of memories from those days with the car.  :gears:  If you look in my photo album you can see some pictures and video's of it http://robbinsvillehotrods.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=28. I sold the car back in the early 90's and really didn't miss it until a couple of years ago. Since then I've really gotten the itch to own another maverick and this time I wanted a grabber. This particular car belonged to an old neighbor, Ed who had moved away. I tried to contact him back in late December by sending a letter to his old address. Don't you know, he received the letter on Jan 8th and then lost it! Well he found the letter about a week ago and called me. Since then I've gone to see the car two times and we reached an agreement on price and the car arrived on a flatbed at my house yesterday August 6th 2011. The car was originally from Florida and was owned by a military man. Ed bought it from him back in 99 when he lived in Hatboro PA. Then he moved to Robbinsville. The whole time he owned it it was kept under plastic tarps and not driven. Ed's intention was to restore the car. Eventually he decided he would never restore it and called me. The car came with alot of parts that Ed had bought and saved over the years that he owned it. Don't laugh when you look at the pictures. The paint is very ugly but it is original paint. Under the paint the entire body is very solid. There is no body rot around the wheel openings, floors, rockers or anywhere else for that matter. A couple small holes around the size of a dime and some pinholes where the vinyl roof used to be is the worst. Now the interior is another story and needs to be completely replaced. Here are some pictures of the car the way I got it.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
Re: 1972 Maverick Grabber
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
Enter my good friend Bill. I met Bill when I first moved to my house on Dancer Drive in Hamilton. He lived around the corner and also owned a maverick. His is yellow and has a 6 cylinder. He daily drove the car for years to work in Orange NJ racking up hundreds of thousands of miles. He added fiberglass fenders, a roll cage, jaz bucket seats, T-5 trans, and several other performance oriented items to the car during the years he drove it, including a 3 -1 barrel setup with a header. Since he removed the T5 trans from the car to put it in another car it has sat for quite a few years and body rot and mice have taken their toll. Bill offered the car to me because since he has inherited another car from his late father he needs the room and he was going to junk it. This car is going to be a great parts car for me. Thanks Bill!

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »
I worked on it a little bit tonight, trying to get it started. The original owner installed a weiand 4 barrel manifold and a holley carb. Ed swapped the holley for a rochester quadra-jet with an adapter for some reason. He also converted the points ignition to a ford duraspark electronic system. I put a battery in it, filled the fuel bowls with gas and cranked it over. It fired up while cranking but shut down as soon as I released the key to the run position. After doing this a few times I looked at the wiring to the duraspark module. Sure enough it looks like it is wired wrong. I'm going to re-wire it tomorrow and see if it will run. Could this be the reason he never drove it all these years?????

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »
I got the car running Monday night after K-Mart. I ran a jumper wire to the ignition module and it fired right up. The Quadrajet has issues though. Shortly after starting the bowl vents began to overflow. I tried tapping on the top of the carb to free it up but no luck. It has a clear fuel filter which is filled with rust. Looks like I will need a new tank and fuel lines. I have a nice Holley 600 vac sec carb that I re-worked with center hung float bowls and secondary metering plate that I used to run on my ranger. I think I'm going to throw it on after the new tank and lines and see how it runs with it. Last night 8/9, with the help of Kyle we removed all of the spare parts that had been stored in the car as well as some mouse nests. Next we vacuumed out the whole car. The floors are really solid with only a couple of pin-holes that I can see. I'm probably going to weld those up, wire brush it and POR15 the floor.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
I bolted on the holley carb Saturday 8/13 and filled the bowls again and it does run much smoother. Also began disassembling the parts car Saturday. Spent at least four hours on the two cars between getting called into work 3-4 times during the day. Sunday was a washout with all the rain. I did manage to get the dual feed line on the carb though. I also found my roll of 1/2 inch aluminum fuel line so I can run new line from the tank to the engine to replace the rusty old line. I picked up the new fuel tank from the parts store also. The Competition Engineering sump should be here on Monday then I have to weld it to the new tank. This rain really sucks!

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
This car has been my inspiration for several years since finding the picture on the maverick website. I've saved the picture on my computer and each time I looked at it I wanted another maverick even more and now I finally have one. I can't wait to get this thing painteed and road worthy.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:06:44 AM »
Been getting some things done on the maverick. The parts car has been stripped and sent to the scrap yard.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
The interior of the 72 has been removed as well as the heater/air conditioner unit under the dash. The floors only had a few pinholes and some surface rust. The holes are welded in and the rest is sanded down and a coat of POR 15 has been applied. New fuel tank with sump added.

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
Now the bad news. The absolute worst part on the whole car is the under side of the cowl on the passenger side. This picture is from under the dash. The top of the cowl will need to be removed and the damaged metal removed and repaired. The top of the cowl will need to be welded back on afterwards. Lots of work!

Offline joelson6

• Global Moderator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 11:08:58 PM »
never throw out the parts car till your finished  :Duh:
^
^
Greg

Pemberton, NJ

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
One exhaust manifold is cracked. Had to get headers ;D  The exhaust system, if you can call it that, consists of rotted out y-pipe combined with flex pipe and a crappy muffler with really small inlet/outlet diameter. This will all be ripped out and the headers installed. Then if I play my cards right my good buddy Mike (aka KBLA) will give me a hand making a custom exhaust system since he is so good at it by now.

Offline jlracing2

• 1/2 Throttle Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:27:02 AM »
nice here is a pic of my dads racecar back in the day called King Kong
weighed 3500 went 10.70 nb/b chevy with a hemi 4 speed trans c/gas car
hamilton nj
auto mechanic

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »
Cool car! I eventually want to put a 351 cleveland in mine but not for a while.

Offline cgaswillys

• 3/4 Throttle Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »
John, I always liked the look of a Maverick. Jimmy's Dad had the right idea to make his fast, he put a Chevy motor in it!!!! :lol: Best of luck with the new project. Don't take any short cuts, Mavericks are cool cars even with a Ford motor.
John, Lumberton, NJ
www.eastcoastgassers.com

Offline John

• Administrator
  • Full Throttle Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »
Jimmy's Dad had the right idea to make his fast, he put a Chevy motor in it!!!! :lol:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that!